Monday, March 20, 2006

The Common Grackle

Another bird I see here (in Mom and Dad's backyard on the eastern shore of Lake Huron) that I have never seen at my own feeder in BC is the
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula). This bird is similar to a crow but smaller, slimmer and with a relatively longer tail. It has gorgeous lustrous feathers, indigo or deep purple (not the band) on its head and bronze-coloured on it's back. Mom likes "that black bird" about as much as I like Starlings!

Again, I can't claim credit for this photo. Good bird photography requires skills and equipment that I don't have. Yet.

I did take a bunch of tree clean-up pictures this week. A heavy snowfall in late February caused considerable damage to trees in the neighbourhood, including Mom and Dad's cedars. When I get home and have had a chance to cull and edit the photos, I'll post them here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home